Bruno Cassinari:  was born on October 28th 1912 in Gropparello (Piacenza) and died in March 1992.



Formation
After his primary school education he attended the Gazzola Art School in Piacenza to become an intaglio artist, and already at this time he began to paint and sculpture using his mother, who encouraged him, as his model.

At seventeen he was a student at the Humanitarian school in Milan, under the teaching of Bogiardi. He also attended evening classes, studying art at Brera and Castello in Milan.

It was at this time (1929-33) that he demonstrated his gifts of application and earnestness: eight hours in an intaglio laboratory, evening classes for drawing and then sculpture at the Castello after supper.

In 1934 he enrolled at the Brera Academy as a pupil of Carpi and took his diploma in 1938.

His mother encouraged him during his difficulties, not only morally but also with small sums of money.



First acknowledgements
In 1939 he won the National Award for young painters and in 1941 he was assigned the Bergamo award.

In 1949 he held his first personal exhibition in Milan, at the Corrente Gallery.



Artistic Changes
At the end of the war, after staying in Gropparello and Venice, he returned to Milan, where he co-operated on the magazine “1945” , a paper that urged for progress in politics and artistic avant-garde.

The year after Cassinari joined the “New Secession”.



Antibes
In 1949 he moved to Antibes, where he remained until 1952, but before leaving, he organised an important personal exhibition at the Milione Gallery in Milan.

 

 

"Composizione con figure e cavalli" 1966

"Due figure" 1963

"Finestra sul mare" 1953

"Il pesce e gli uccelli" 1970

 

Important awards
In 1952 the First Award at the Venice Biennial.

Cassinari presented five paintings : “Comoposizione, Finestra, Figura in verde, Pomeriggio, Giardino d’estate” (Composition, Window, Figure in green, Afternoon, Summer garden). The same year he was invited to the Kurt Valentin Gallery in New York.


Special works

The 1951 Milan triennial commissioned a mural panel for the gala exhibition room and a mosaic for the subsequent exhibition.

In 1955 the Quadrennial assigned him the national painting award. After the Venice Biennial, in 1957 he held a personal exhibition at the Matthieson Gallery in London, and at the Klihm Gallery in Munich.

In 1955 he prepared scenery and costumes for the Chabriel Espana Ballet at the Scala opera house in Milan.

In 1960 the Darmstadt museum dedicated an anthological exhibition to him, which was repeated in Berlin and Kassel.

In 1962 he decorated the Shell Building in London and the following year an altar-piece for the Metanopoli church in Milan.

In 1966 he illustrated “Aminta” by Tasso and “Catullo".

Prior to this he had illustrated a volume of poetry by Paul Eluard in 1950 and some of Horace’s odes in 1962, and “per via di Cavalli” by Vittorio Alfieri in 1964.

In 1967 he exhibited at the Delfino Gallery in Rovereto.



Subjects
He chose many subjects. His female faces always have a continuous connection with maternal love.

In 1983 Piacenza organised a large anthological exhibition , others followed in 986 at the Palazzo Reale in Milan, and in 1988 at the Pace Gallery, Milan.

 

 

Per visualizzare l'immagine è necessario il Plug-in di Flash.

 

 

Home   Introduction   Present day Artist's   Artists of the past   Marked Artist's   Purchases on-line   International exibition     Guestbook   Desktop

 

 

Artinvest2000, International Arts Portal Copyright 2005©
Any Site contents reproduction, even partial, is strictly prohibited, unless preventively authorized. Any illicit one will be pursued according to the relevant laws. Optimized  for 1024x768 or higher resolution.